One of Malta's international corporate and trust service provider is currently searching for an enthusiastic Legal Executive who is looking for a long-term career.
The Legal Executive will work closely with and ultimately to be part of the management team of a Corporate & Trust Service Provider in relation to the on-going management of client relationships and internal procedures with a focus on legal and compliance related matters.
Applicants should have:
- A minimum of a relevant degree level education and/or a professional qualification together with a minimum of three years’ relevant work experience
- Preference would be given to candidates with a legal qualification (i.e. LL.B or LL.D)
- Knowledge of corporate and trust law with the ability to adapt knowledge to multiple jurisdictions
- Strong compliance experience
- Ability to understand and interpret financial statements
- A versatile and flexible attitude with the ability to communicate well with all levels of staff and HNW clients
- Well organised with exceptional attention to detail
- Strong IT skills
- Excellent command of English both written and spoken
The day-to-day role of this new position will include:
- Legal & Compliance advice and support to the Corporate Manager and the team of administrators and accountants.
- Liaison with clients and management of clients’ specific requests which may include, for example, establishing a new structure, entering into a sale and purchase transaction, restructuring an existing corporate structure, general problem-solving. The successful candidate would be able/expected to consult with in-house and external lawyers and accountants as required.
- Assisting the administration team with drafting corporate and trust resolutions of a complex nature.
- Researching legislation/regulations when applicable and discussing such with in-house or external counsel as required.
- Internal audits of clients files which include a compliance/AML review as well as a review of corporate and/or trust documents
- Authority to represent the Employer when the Employer is acting as a corporate director and/or officer or trustee for client entities. The Employer operates a four-eye policy so that two senior employees of the Employer consult on all decisions taken by the Employer when acting in its capacity as a trustee, director or officer of client entities.
- Meet with clients by phone, skype or in person when necessary. This may involve periodic travel from time to time.
- Excellent command of English both written and spoken with the ability to communicate well with international clients
- High standards of customer service, well organised with a natural attention to detail
- Flexible attitude and able to work autonomously whilst also adhering to the company’s internal policies and procedures
- Good knowledge of Malta’s (and/or other common law jurisdictions) legislation covering corporate, compliance, tax and trust. It would be an advantage if the candidate had experience or knowledge relating to Malta tax matters.
- Candidate should be knowledgeable of Malta incorporation procedures or able to adapt knowledge from another jurisdiction and apply accordingly.
- Ability to understand accounting procedures and interpret financial statements and be comfortable assisting staff and clients in relation to audit and Inland Revenue procedures
- Strong IT skills with the ability to learn new systems quickly. Very competent in the use of Microsoft office products.
- Strong knowledge of AML-ATF legislation and compliance procedures.